Friday, April 10, 2009

Past

A few days ago, Eric asked me if i am going to delete my blog when i become a teacher. I was thinking of maybe making it private, but he thinks that it is still possible to gain access to my previous posts because of caching in Google. Obviously the reasons for possibly deleting my blog is not to protray an image that is not fitting for a teacher, should someone that i should know in my teaching environment read my blog. As usual, i am not ashame mostly for people who cares to know what kind of a person i am, because i do not believe that there could be anyone who do not have a past or is perfect, even a saint.

This was one of my reservations when before i applied for teaching. As a teacher, i will need to be a role model and likely my actions and behaviors will be under scutiny even outside of school. I think that i should be good at acting normal like i have been doing for so many years, but i wondered if i should continue do so at the dawn the new phase of my life. I am not necessarily a deviance, but i just question social norms a lot, which might prove to be a problem as a teacher. I accept most social norms while still question the validity of certain norms, which is part of my critical analysis of life. Certainly, i do not try to impose my ideas on other people, only explain my reasons for others to interpret for themselves.

So i wondered if i will need to delete my facebook account as well? Probably there are stuff inside that looks unfitting for a teacher, and i imagine what kind of image it will protray to other people. But this i wonder, that is it the requirement of the profession to have a clean past? Everyone has made mistakes at some point in their life and it seems that in our society that is unforgiving on failures, the public scutiny does not show any mercy. It is possibly judgmental and myopic, with me possibly part of it. So what is more important, hiding or deleting the past? I think no, the more effective way would be to argue and justify your actions. Afterall, our preception is shaped by arguments, not necessarily the truth.

No comments: